Monday, February 20, 2006

Maiden Voyage

Well yesterday I finally took my 'new' single speed out. I say finally since I had a few false starts when trying to go.

First, I managed to fix the chain track problem that was related to the No-Railleur by Axiom. Axiom's site was no help on this matter. If anyone is wondering you can remove the small roll pin that would hit the b-tension mount. Then you set it up according to instructions for the Surly Singleator (pdf) in pull down mode. This worked much better.

A few notes from my first ride.

1. A 32 - 17 gear ratio is too high. It might me alright in the summer, but in the winter while on hills it proved too much for my leg strength.

2. I forgot what it was like to ride a rigid bike with skinny tires. A whole new experience all over again. I had more little mishaps yesterday than I have had all winter. That said it was exciting, and at the same time proof positive of what we have gained in technology in the past 10 years.

Today I will be on the search for a 16 tooth rear cog.

0 Comments:

<< Home