Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Album Review


John Mayer Trio
Try

The liner notes say much in the first few words. And I quote: "Guitar, bass, and drums. Three guys, nowhere to hide. When it works...."

Any teeny bopper with a grade 8 education (much of his popular clientele) could read the liner notes on any other John Mayer CD and come to the conclusion that he is influenced by the blues. Any true blues lover could listen to the CD and they would be able to tell you that he is strongly influenced by the blues.

As soon as I heard about this album I couldn't wait to hear it. I would class myself in the latter group of people, and had wondered for a while what would happen if one could listen to John play his passion.

Did I mention that this CD is live? Recorded at the House of Blues in Chicago. That alone should give it enough pedigree to warrant a listen. As I was running this afternoon listening to this, I was overcome with an image of the past. Myself, probably a bit too young in a bar that I shouldn't have been in, there to hear the blues. Live. Eyes closed, drinking Guinness. I realized as I ran that closing my eyes may lead to a little more than a small problem on the track. I tried real hard not to. I had semi success.

The bulk of this CD is pure blues. There is a bit of pop sprinkled in. More on that later.

The lyrics are the blues. Not much to elaborate on there. Songs of lament. Quite interestingly the most pop like song on the album also has the most bluesy lyrics. That would be Something's Missing.

Can you handle this album? As for listening, I could easily lose myself in this one. It was good enough on the first listen to hook me in. Beyond that, it has what I consider to be the best attribute of any album...... The more I listen, the more I want to listen. Even the quirky little things that John usually does live, have been mellowed enough that they are at the least not distracting, and for most not noticeable at all.

Musicality. Where do I start. Steve Jordan on the kit and Pin Paladino on bass. What a rhythm section. Good doesn't begin to describe them. Consummate live performers. The rhythm is something makes me want to keep time on my thigh, just to make sure I'm not loosing it. At enough occasions the bass comes together with either the kick or the snare, so that you know that it isn't just pretty good and a bit lucky. This is really good, and pro. The timing reminds me somewhat of what occurs on Led Zepplin's 'Presence' album.

John shines here, and it is obvious that he is home. Blues works for him. He works with the Blues.

Ray Charles' "I Got A Woman" stands out. They are in the zone and you can't help but getting dragged along with them. Lots of original music here too. "Vultures" shows that these musicians can write and play. Talented bunch.

If there was any question of the talent the beginning of "Something's Missing "would answer that. The drummer picks the beat. The guitar player then pics the song. I have seen this tactic live, when working as a soundman. Anytime it works, it shows that the musicians are tight. Anytime it doesn't it's a grand flop. In this case the simple words, "IT ain't your TV" let the others know what song they have been playing up until that point. Of course the drummer and the bass have there fun changing the beat timing on the guitar enough so that it takes some care to navigate to lyrics.

The song itself is a little on the poor side for a three piece blues band. Rhythm and lead guitar seem to be important parts. John try's to cover for the lack of pieces by switching modes, and throwing in a some phase shifting. Leave this one for the pop crowd. The full band does an excellent job of it.

The other cover of his pop stuff is "Daughters" which slides beautifully into the genre. A bit surprisingly so. But it works enough so that your not longing for the original. In stark contrast one would assume that this is the way it was always to be played.

That just might be the case.

In any matter, it is good that he has a few familiar tunes so that those teeny boppers that show up at the House of Blues have something to sing along with when they realize the boy/man that they have a crush on, is far more three dimensional then they thought.

I hope that this album does for blues what Harry Connick Jr. did for swing, and Diana Krall has done for Jazz. Those teeny boppers will need something to listen to after real life takes hold.

Genre: Blues
Lyrics: Blues
Listenability: Dark Highway at Night
Musicality: Consummate
Recording: Live

0 Comments:

<< Home