Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Album Review

Jamie Cullum
Catching Tales

The infamous third release. It seems that in this day and age there is a typical first three releases. The first being an unheard of indy release, followed by an immensely successful release number two on a well known label. This is followed by a number three release that is a bit of a departure from what most of the public refer to as the 'first one' which is of course the first major label release. The reason that I say infamous, is that the release in its departure from the status quo is not really well accepted. (note: this is actually his fourth release if you include a first that was limited to 600 pressings)

Well does this release pass that test? That is what I am here to answer.

At first flush I would have been quick to say no. I have to say that originally this album didn't sit well with me. It had one really important thing though. It had a hook. At first when I plugged it in, the hook on track one had me. It was about the only thing that brought me back to listen to it the second time. By then it was the off the wall interpretation of 'I only have eyes for you.' Once I had been through the album three or four times it was starting to stick. A bit longer than his 'first major label release' which I was into from the first note.

I am now glad that it kept me for the long haul.

Jamie Cullum has an amazing ability to interpret classic in a new way, a way that is not offensive. It is a way that is fresh yet respectful, and gives me hope that some of the music that I have heard over and over and over and over again, may just have life in it this side of the elevator. Whether it is Hendrix, Radiohead, or the classic aforementioned ' I Only Have Eyes For You,' Jamie has the ability to make it new.

What is more, the numbers that are original, blend with the classics. This may be because he has put his own jazz/pop stamp on the old stuff and his new creations, or simply because he is really good. More than likely it is a bit of both.

Lyrically there is a big plus here. You can understand them without a cheat sheet. First time through. More than that, they speak. Sometimes deep as in the lament ' Oh God' and other times a little lighter like in 'Photograph'. It is a good thing that you can understand them, since the liner notes are as poor as they come. At least when it comes to the lyrics.

A quick note on the liner notes. There is written here a very comprehensive dialog on each song and the thoughts behind it. I am not sure how much I like this. From one perspective it is a window into the artist. In another perspective, it takes away the magic of the music. For me I would skip it and spend more time tightening the written lyrics to five or less fonts.

The musicality is the thing that makes all, of what this album is, work. It of course doesn't happen in a vacuum. Every song has input from multiple members, and every song has multiple instruments. They work well together. Jamie Cullum himself is an accomplished pianist. That coupled with the previously mentioned song writing/interpreting ability makes the long term effect, a lasting production. Harmonies that run a little beatlesque and keys that run a little toward traditional jazz trio makes the sound signature.

Jamie's voice is the last piece. I can't say I fell in love with it instantaneously. I have learned to find it enduring. Of course I am quite sure that if Van Morrison came out sounding like he does on 'Brown Eyed Girl' today, we may all take a step back. That said, all the elements of a key note voice is there. Its different. Its unaltered. It has a hint of heart, and of husky. At moments you almost wonder if he is using a tube mic, just slightly overdriven. But that's not it. Its just that little bit raspy. Curiously, when he turns up the heat, it clears out. I hope this is a sign that he can keep his sound and mature it, rather than being at a point that he has blown it out already.

All this, and did I mention that he is only 26.

The recording, at first blush is quite decent. A more critical listen starts noticing differences in reverb at many occasions during single tracks. It is not that this cannot be used artistically, but in this case it is not. Further, it is just below the edge of being distracting. It appears that Cullum has not yet developed the consummate studio sound that an artist of his caliber should have. This may be a difficulty seeing he is trying to bridge two genre's. It would be nice to hear a more consistent recording. Even the changes between songs are far too abrupt. His long liner notes suggest that he had a hard time arriving on a track order. Maybe this is a result of not really recording all the tracks in a similar fashion. I am not sure what the answer is here, but it is a juggernaut that he needs to resolve to move into the realm of the truly great brits.

Without a doubt or hesitation, this album is a buy.

Genre: Jazz/Pop
Lyrics: Clear
Listenability: Fun and Enjoyable
Musicality: Fresh, Enlightening
Recording: Freshman

0 Comments:

<< Home