Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Album Review

As promised I plan on a regular feature for every day. Wednesday it is the album review.

First I will tell you what it is not. It is not confined to one genre. (I listen to almost everything) It is not confined to only Christian music. It is not always going to be a super current release.

As for what it will be: It will include an analysis of the genre, lyrics, listenability, musicality, and recording quality. And without further ado.





Alison Krauss and Union Station
Lonely Runs Both Ways


My first encounter with this group and this album was just over a year ago. It was the Tonight Show with Jay Leno Thanksgiving Episode for the troops. In simple terms, I was so impressed with the caliber of musicianship on that Thursday night, I tuned in the next night when they were playing again. I am not sure of one song they performed, but the other was the final cut from this album. A Living Prayer. It was at the least touching, but more moving. The single mic performance with Alison singing and then stepping out of the way so that the stringed instruments could huddle closer to the mic for instrumental sections, showed control, and ultimately musicianship.

Sold.

Bought this CD the next day.

The Genre is Bluegrass. Plain and simple. Classic, clean, and unadulterated. Bluegrass.

The lyrics are quite simply meaningful. You can listen and plug this album as background music, or listen at a critical level to the lyrics and it holds up. As I listened to it, I realized over many months that the lyrics are more overtly Christian than I had thought when I bought it. Which in turn made me look into one of the writers and band members. Ron Block, a Christian man and a thinker. From time to time I quite enjoy reading his writings.

For listening, you could plug this one on repeat all day and it would become the simple hum of the household. As well it suits laying on the couch on a Sunday afternoon, and immersing yourself in what it has to offer. (without outside disturbance)

The musicians are top drawer. Something that is layered deep enough that I still find neat little bits when I listen to it now, a year later.

As for recording quality, it passes the Sunday Afternoon couch test. Which in my level of thinking is only one step below testing sound system equalization. Quite respectable.

Sounds glowing doesn't it? It should. One complaint. Alison's clothing choice on the Album cover is one knotch below blush for me. Although they don't overtly claim Christian in their title, it is something that could be looked at.

Genre: Bluegrass
Lyrics: Thought Provoking
Listenability: Background, or Quiet Time.
Musicality: Eric Clapton
Recording: Couch Test


0 Comments:

<< Home