Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Album Review


Diana Krall
Christmas Songs


Right off the top, I have to admit that I am a long term Diana Krall fan. I own all her albums, save one DVD. From the first time I heard her sing 'Peel Me a Grape', I was hooked. Without a doubt, she has had many fine albums. Her last effort out was the stellar 'The Girl in the Other Room'. In my opinion an album where she out did herself, simply because we saw HER. It was gutsy and truthful. Fresh and appealing.

If you have been living in isolation for the past 10 years you may not know that Diana Krall's specific genre is Jazz. More specifically trio or quartet jazz. She has done some launches into grand orchestrated numbers, but we all listen to her for the basics. Rich voice, impeccable keys, outstanding bass and guitar, and sometimes the kit. It is always a tight sound, and if that is what you are looking for in a Christmas album, look no further.

The album cover has Diana looking all girly and pretty. The back has a far more sassy look for her, and anyone who has heard any interviews with her would know that, this is far more who she is. I guess one must give Kudos here for using the actual word 'Christmas' in the album title.

On a perusal of the songs, I am instantly disenchanted. In this day and age I am quite used to Christmas albums that have a certain amount of secular music on them. Even on those that come from a 'Christian' band. In this case though, there is not a single sacred song in the mix. Very sad. What is more, the mix of music reads like the what's what of department store music. Save for two tracks, (What are You Doing New Year's Eve, and Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep.) I am not sure how many more renditions of White Christmas I can handle, before I start deleting them off of my hard drive play list. One saving factor is the lack of 'The Little Drummer Boy' which is beginning to be more over used than the McDonald's drive through. Of course that is a sacred song and therefore is in no danger of finding it's way onto this album.

The listenability is good. Not exceptional, not great. Good. You can put it on in the background and it will add the ambiance that a good jazz album always should. Nothing pops. Nothing on this album to me says fresh and different in a way that I could suggest that it is a must have.

The musicality of what is done here is as I alluded to before, the tight workings of a fine machine that one would expect. It does not falter and for all my complaints will be played as background music in my home for many years to come. One really key point. It seems that all the contemporary and jazz Christmas albums that I have, err in one way. Vocal intonation. I have to say that the intonation on this production is impeccable. That in itself makes this an addition to my collection that I do not regret.

As for recording, it is off the rack. No glaring errors. Nothing that stands out. This is not Steely Dan. That said, I suppose that in the genre, you are not really after anything other than an unobtrusive passive recording. That is what 'Christmas Songs' has in spades.

You won't hate it, you wont regret the purchase, but neither will you miss it greatly if you skip it. For the fan, buy it. For the penny pincher give it a skip. For the coffee bar it will work just fine.

Genre: Jazz
Lyrics: Secular
Listenability: Coffee Bar, Background at the Party
Musicality: Tight, In Tune
Recording: Off the Rack

0 Comments:

<< Home