Sunday, December 11, 2005

The Other Side of the Lamppost


A review of the movie, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.

For a quick view of a side discussion of theology see my previous post.

For those who want to take their children to this movie, stop right now. Dust of the book and read it to them. You and they will be ever so happy that you did.

I do not believe that I ever really truly understood C.S. Lewis' statements about appealing to man's intellect and man's fantasy, before I saw this movie. The opening scene of the movie transported me to the land of a man compelled to do radio shows, presenting his Lord to his nation.

I am not sure that the vivid images that I have in my mind of 1940's England is more due to the writings of Lewis, or from Robert Ludlam's 'The Tristan Betrayal.' (I read Ludlam at the same time as the last time through Mere Christianity and it is set in WWII.) What I can say without a doubt, the contrast in the movie from this side to the other side of the lamppost brought great light to me as to why one might need such fantasy during such a time.

In the movie the landscapes are dreamy. The colours are vivid. More importantly the images did not conflict with those in my head. To me that is chief, and also indicates to me that the portrayal of Lewis's imaginary world is true to his writings. All I can say on this is well done.

Another thing that looked a little funny to me, was the fur coats in an environment of sentient animals. It is a little obtuse, although the idea of hunting non sentient animals is broached by Lewis in a later book, it is made light of here, when Peter threatens to make beaver into a hat.

One last image that I found striking was that of Aslan talking to Edmund after his return to the fold. It was Aslan and Him. That was all it took to be sufficient to not rehash the matter with the other three. I saw an image of Edmund being brought back, not of his own desire, but out of the direction of Aslan. It was to me a statement.

Lucy stole the show. When she smiles, frowns, weeps, laughs.... she is enchanting and an amazing pick for the part. As for the others, although at first they appear weak in their roles, it becomes evident as the movie progresses that they are cast well. Edmund walks with the guilt convincingly. Susan made me see the older sister sick of the younger and all too right in everything, much better than I ever have. Peter, slowly changes and steps up to the plate. All in all believable. At least as much as a movie with a talking beaver can be.

unfortunately the show is rushed, even at 2h4m. The transitions are abrupt, and I would have liked to dwelt in a few scenes longer. It did however keep my attention and that of the six year old, and that is in itself impressive.

Its intensity is lower than I expected, but that suits me fine since it is for the kids, and the kid inside. Take your children. They will love it. Mine did.

On the technical side:

The green screening is way too obvious and crisp. The theater I went to had the volume to low. The battle scenes global rather than individual. (lowering intensity) All, I am willing to live with for the sake of seeing Shasta and Bree.

0 Comments:

<< Home