Friday, January 06, 2006

Album Review

As promised here is my review of The Great Divide.

Scott Stapp
The Great Divide.

My first experience with Scott Stapp is like for most. Listening to the band Creed. I was introduced to Creed by my brother soon after the release of Human Clay. I had heard the music on the radio a few times but had not really taken on looking any further.

A note about the genre. Hard rock. Leaning heavily to metal/grunge. I recall getting into my brothers car just ahead of my parents. He turned the ignition and Creed came blaring out the stereo. It was an instantaneous panic to turn the stereo off before the folks got in. Followed by a laugh/giggle and a grin.

This is not music for the faint of heart. Most likely not for classically trained choir directors either. Scott Stapp takes off where Creed ended.

As in a few albums that have been released on Wind Up Records this one has Christian Undertones. Wind Up has released groups that have quite overt Christian lyrics, like those of Evanescence, and others that are more muted like those of the Creed album Human Clay or that of the band formed by the other part of Creed, Alter Bridge. (In short a let down) The Great Divide has lyrics that are probably fit somewhere between the last Creed album, Weathered, and that of Evanescence's. Although I can't say that they carry the impact of either.

About Scott Stapp's personal Christianity; I read an interview with him that was written about the time of his single release on the Passion 'music inspired by the...' In it he unequivocally states that as a part of Creed, he was asked many times if they were a Christian band. The band was not as a group Christian, and that was reflected in the responses that they gave. He goes on to state that he is quite glad that he was never asked personally about his Christianity. This was followed by an explanation that dwelt on the matter of his witness and lack there-of. A broken marriage later, and his head has turned around. Much to the joy of his Christian Father.

Now to the album at hand.

The reason for the delay yesterday was my realization that although I had listened to the album many times, the first two songs turned me off, and I was tuned out for the remainder. As I was taking a more critical listen I realized that the rest of the album was better than I had thought, and therefore I should listen a bit closer.

The first two songs on this CD are bad pics. They are not really musical and should never had made the cut. Beyond that they are really loud. In a way that does them no favor.

The remainder of the album steps back a notch and feels a little slower. Not the kind of slower that came with an 80's hair band playing a ballad, but rather the kind of slower that 90 miles and hour is slower than 110. Its still raunchy but far more palatable.

The musicality is far better when it is dialed back a notch. The musicians seem to have a better flow and defiantly sound like higher quality. Stapp himself after the third track sounds better and is more understandable. Nothing outstanding here. Nothing super offensive in most of the later tracks. Just plain hard rock.

I find it unfortunate that the first single release was the title track, The Great Divide. It sounds too much like Creed and Stapp is stuck singing in triplets as he tends to. Its not bad but there are a few that are much better on the album. I suppose that the Creed type sound will sell albums to the general market. If you find after this review that you are waffling a bit, find a copy of the track named Justify. If you like it you will like most of the work. If you don't give it a skip.

Justify to me shows a progression in style, and I hope that as Stapp goes on, that this is the direction he takes his career.

For listening this album is great for working out to. Getting that extra lap or rep will appreciate the lively encouragement. If you are the kind that likes a good 4 shot espresso in the morning, it might fit the bill for the drive to work. DO NOT take that as a license to speed. Which will be the obvious ear to foot reaction while listening.

The recording is at par with those that Creed put out. Good, listenable, not remarkable. It works.

About the Cover. It has a phrase written on it. As much as it looks like Greek, do not try to translate it. It's Cherokee. I found that out after many frustrating hours. I still have no idea what it says.

Genre: Hard Rock
Lyrics: Covertly Christian
Listenability: 90mph and above
Musicality: Hair Band
Recording: Hair Band

0 Comments:

<< Home