Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Album Review


Madeleine Peyroux
careless love


Madeleine Peyroux. (pay-roo) A name that I heard for the first time while in a up scale French restaurant. I was having a special dinner in a private room with my wife. The music was dreamy, smoky and from another era. I had to know.

All I managed to find out that night was her name. Nothing more. I was so surprised as I started a search for a CD. It was new. She is young. She is American. How can it be?

It ends up that this CD was released in late 2004. When Madeleine was 30.

With some patience I finally received my copy.

The Genre is Jazz. Female vocal jazz. Like that of Billie Holiday. A sound reminiscent of Louis Armstrong, in his French days. You know 'La Vie en Rose' and all that. So impressively so, that you lose mind of the decade you are in.

I must say that this is a rare exception that the package so amazingly transcends the parts, that I really don't know the lyrics. The reason I say that this is rare, is that I ALWAYS listen to lyrics. I tend to over examine them. Perhaps the fact that they are not supplied with the album may have made me not dwell on them. In anycase, they are there, and they fit the music. I cannot say much more than that.

The listenability of this album is where I must dwell. Although you may find it enjoyable in many circumstances, to me it fits one to a 'T'. In my mind this album is to be listened to in a semi darkened living room late at night. No other distraction than close intimate company to talk of life and times. In your hands, a glass of wine or scotch. Maybe a bit cooler outside, but warm indoors. A candle, or a fire to punctuate the ambiance.

Do you feel relaxed?

In this instance the musicality is inseparable from the recording. As I have alluded to earlier, this album is one that sounds from a different time. This is in part the music, and in part Madelein's throaty voice. AND in part the recording. Is the musicality good? Sure it is. It is outstanding, even when you consider the incongruous elements of 1/2 a century old sound mixed with a wurlitzer. Even when you consider music written by the likes of Leonard Cohen, WC Handy, Bob Dylan and Hank Williams. If you get the idea that this album is not quite as traditional as I have led you to believe, perish the thought. It is Classic.

The recording is dirty, in a very clean dirty kind of way. It does not exemplify what could be achieved in cleanliness today. It shouldn't. This wouldn't be even half the album if it had that cleanliness to it. That said I would say that quite possibly modern equipment made this new old sound possible. Amazing times we live in. If you are looking for a Steely Dan perfect recording look elsewhere. If you are looking to be transported to another time and place, give Careless Love a listen. You wont be disappointed.

Genre: Jazz
Lyrics: n/c
Listenability: Quite Night, Glass of Wine
Musicality: Classic
Recording: Old Vinyl

0 Comments:

<< Home