Saturday, November 19, 2005

Long Lost Friend

No, I am not referring to my conspicuous absence from blogging in the last few days!

I am referring to a band that I have heard little from in the last 10 years. In truthfulness I had literally forgotten about them. Their name is Fleming and John. It seems that just recently they have decided to make themselves known again.

I have to admit that the fascination that I have with them is from one song that I heard released on an obscure album that was a tribute to Steve Taylor, namely I Predict a Clone. They covered Steve's Harder to Believe Than Not To. It was Flemings soaring vocals that hooked me. They were reminiscent of a punk band that I used to listen to called the Sugar Cubes.

The sad fact is, that is all I heard from these talented people up until now.

If you have any leaning at all toward alternative music, take 8 minutes of your time and look at the video on their site.

If you think that you might have heard these type of sounds before, the list of there contributions to modern music is long including:

Ben Folds Songs for Silverman, Super D, Speed Graphic, Sunny 16, Rockin' The Suburbs, Reinhold Messner, Whatever and Ever Amen
Trail of Dead: Worlds Apart, Source Tags and Codes, Relative Ways
Spoon:
William Shatner: Has Been
Lynne Me Your Ears: Jeff Lynne Tribute
I Predict a Clone: Steve Taylor Tribute
Vietnam, a Musical Retrospective
John Mayer: Room for Squares
Train: Drops of Jupiter
Jars of Clay: The 11th Hour
Sixpence None the Richer: Sixpence None the Richer
Lee Ann Womack: Something Worth Leaving Behind
DC Talk: Jesus Freak, Free at Last
GRITS: The Art of Translation
Indigo Girls: Swampophelia
Nanci Griffith: The Flyer

A more complete description of this is available here and here.

0 Comments:

<< Home