Saturday, October 08, 2005

The Chief

Recently I spent time with my
brother in Squamish, BC. It is the location of his coffee shop. His shop produces nothing but top notch coffee, espresso and baking. The environment is everything that I like while having my coffee, and nothing that I don't. If you are in Squamish or Brackendale, look it up. It's Bean Around the World Brackendale.

While enjoying "The World's Finest Coffees" We worked on a few upgrades and repairs. I am not completely sure that I was so much help as company, but we were able to enjoy some time doing things that are enjoyable to both of us. Time outdoors. We climed the Cheif. Now I like climbing and hiking, bike riding and fishing. I like a good workout, but in all reality my brother is an athlete and I am at best a willing participant.

Nothing would have really prepared me for the Chief. Its not that it's tall, it's not that it's rocky, its not that the nicely made steps in the trail are anything but regular. It that all of these come together on a 2000 foot climb and are the lighter side of what you experience. Having to use chain hand rails and ladders to assist you on the way up just add to the excitement.


The trail winds around the backside, and if you are so inclined you book time to climb the face. I am not inclined, in fact I still get a bit of a shiver thinking about my time spent at the top. Although as an aside it was the first time I ever realized that my brother is just as scared of hights as I am.


The view from the top was stunning. We spent some time snacking and talking. Looking and sitting in awe of creation. It truly was worth the affomentioned hike. As seen in the picture to the right My bro is keeping his distance from the edge as I did too, save the one occurance of crawling over to at least take a peek.

As you can see, the trail is steep, and while climbing or descending you are passed by many who have climbed the face and are now running down the back side. We took our time, and this makes me able to write this now.

If you are so inclined, to ever do this hike by all means do. It is amazing. Just carefully read the statements before you start.

As we climbed I felt as if I had steped in to the Lord of the Rings. With gollum hanging over my shoulder announcing to my brother "Fat boy ate all the food."

1 Comments:

At 3:55 PM, Blogger Kelvin said...

"Fat boy did eat all the food" (hehe) Kia Ora (Hello) from a krazy blogger down under in New Zealand. You have a great blog - can I mention it on http://212121blogs.blogspot.com
when I do the next listings ?

 

<< Home